January 6, 2013

Bouillon Soup With Meatballs

My grandma, or Oma as we called her, died two weeks ago on Christmas day. I was busy preparing for the big christmas dinner when I got a call. The whole family rushed to the hospital where she later died. 
She was an amazing and beautiful woman, always so happy to be surrounded by her children and grand-children and one of the reasons I started cooking. She peacefully tasted everything I made, always telling me it was absolutely delicious. 
I will never forget the things she cooked for us kids. Soup with meatballs was our favorite, we would fight over the meatballs as we happily ate (or mostly drank) our bowl with soup. 
On New Years day I decided to make Oma's soup. Though it was not nearly as good as hers, we devoured it and remembered our amazing Oma. 





Bouillon soup with meatballs

for the bouillon:
1 marrowbone
500 gr soup meat, in 1 cm pieces
2 onions
2 carrots
2 stems celery
1 clove garlic
1 bouquet garni (I used thyme, rosemary, parsley and basil)
100 ml white wine

for the meatballs:
300 gr minced meat
50 gr breadcrumbs
1 egg
1 tbsp soy sauce
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Put the marrowbone and soup meat in an ovenproof dish and bake for 1 hour. When ready place in a large pot. 
Coarsely chop the vegetables and add to the pot together with the garlic, bouquet garni and salt and pepper. Add the wine and as much water to cover the vegetables and meat. Bring to the boil and skim of fat, leave on low heat for at least 4 hours. Strain the bouillon. 

For the meatballs, mix minced meat with other ingredients and form little balls. Bring a pot with enough water to the boil and add meatballs. Cook for about 10 minutes or until cooked through. Add to bouillon.



No comments:

Post a Comment